Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spaghetti & Meatballs

There is nothing better than being able to have a yummy, satisfying home-cooked meal without having to do much cooking. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook. It really helps me relax and de-stress (that is, when I don't have children hanging on my leg.) But, there are some days when it's just no that easy, whether it be sickness, errands, or just a long weekend. This is why I love meals that freeze well. Spaghetti sauce is one of those things that just taste better the second time. I've found most people agree on this one. I will also freeze meatballs, BUT I do not cook them first. I do not like the taste of frozen pre-cooked meatballs. To freeze them, put them on a baking sheet and freeze until firm and then you can place them in a Ziploc bag. I also portion my sauce into Ziplocs and they can be laid flat in the freezer. So, here's my take on the classic family spaghetti dinner.



Recipe (Serves 6-8, or 4 with leftovers)

Sauce

2 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 t salt
1/2 t basil
1/2 t oregano
pepper
2, 28-oz cans whole tomatoes(broken up with hands) or crushed tomatoes
1 28-oz can tomato sauce
2 c dry white wine
1 t sugar

Meatballs

1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1/2 onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t basil
1/2 T flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1/4 t pepper
1/2 t salt
2 t mustard
1 t ketchup
about 1/2 c bread crumbs
about 1/4 c Parmesan

For sauce, heat olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add onions, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add wine, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar. Bring to a simmer, reduce to med-low and simmer at least one hour, stirring occasionally.

For meatballs, combine all ingredients in a a large bowl and mix until combined. Dampen hands with a little water to prevent sticking and shape meat mixture into 1-inch balls. Drop balls into simmering spaghetti sauce and cook, undisturbed, until meatballs float to the top and are cooked through (about 15 minutes).

Serve over spaghetti (love the whole-wheat) cooked to al dente and top with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Such a classic, really cannot pass up a great spaghetti and meatballs recipe :) - Cathy Pieroz at Ray White Alexandra Hills

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails