Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Gluten Free Pancakes

Ever since I switched to a gluten and dairy free diet I have been missing those Sunday mornings with my family eating something yummy and comforting like pancakes or waffles.  There has been one other time that my husband tried making me pancakes and used and all-purpose gluten-free flour.  They just weren't very good.  Even my husband who will eat just about anything wouldn't touch them.  The problem is that most gluten-free flour blends have garbanzo bean flour in them and you can definitely taste it.



I decided to give up on making these recipes I missed so much.  However, recently I made a cake for my daughter's birthday and used this gluten-free flour mix that I learned to make.  The cake was delicious and it gave me to confidence to make more things that I used to love to make.  So I thought I could use our standard pancake recipe and try it out and it worked!  These pancakes were delicious.

Gluten-Free Pancakes

1 1/2 c gluten-free flour
1 t xanthan gum
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
3 T honey (or organic sugar if you like)
1 1/2 cups almond/coconut milk
3 T coconut oil (you can use melted butter if you can have dairy)
2 eggs
1/2 t vanilla

Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  In another bowl mix the wet ingredients.  Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir until just combined.  Heat griddle to about 350 F.  Spoon batter in 1/4 cup amounts onto the griddle.  At this point you can add sliced banana, blueberries, chocolate chips, etc. onto the pancakes.  Cook until bubbles begin to pop and the bottom is light brown.  Turn and cook other side till light brown.  Serve or keep warm in oven.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! You might also play around with ground GF oatmeal. I made donuts with basically the same recipe above (excluding the xanthan gum) but used 1/2 zucchini and 1/2 oatmeal flour. It was a bit runny so I added cocoa powder and it was a fantastic addition.
    I'm loving your blog Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip about the oatmeal. We made waffles with oatmeal but I felt it was a little dry but the tip about zucchini is really good. The kids would probably love it because it would similar to the muffins they love. Shredded apple would be really good too.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails