Tuesday, June 5, 2012

What we ate last week

Last week was the first week in a while that we made a meal plan for the week and got all of our shopping done in one day.  We are really going to make a good effort to stick to doing this each weekend as it relieves so much stress during the week to already have everything planned out.  I actually look forward to our shopping day. We go to the farmers' market which I'm really getting excited about because I find our kids get more interested in different things.  The first time my daughter every tried grapes was when a lady at the farmers' market gave her a bunch to try.



We did really well last week sticking to our plan.  The kids did ask for some snacks in the late afternoon on some days.  This was usually crackers, hummus, or fruit.  It was expected since we are adjusting to a new schedule with my husband working.  We have really found that eating healthy, real food fills us up though.


Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
Breakfast Eggs, Bacon, Potatoes, Toast (GF English Muffin for me) GF Pancakes with Maple Syrup Homemade Granola and Puffed Brown Rice, Almond Milk and Strawberries or Bananas Oatmeal with Honey, Vanilla, Cinnamon and Raisins Homemade Granola and Puffed Brown Rice, Almond Milk and Strawberries or Bananas Oatmeal with Honey, Vanilla, Cinnamon and Raisins Greek or Coconut Milk Yogurt with Homemade Berry Sauce and Homemade Granola
Lunch
Whole Wheat or GF Tortilla with Peanut Butter and All Fruit Spread Hummus with Triscuits or GF Crackers, Grapes Zucchini Bread w/ Smoothie Tortilla with cream cheese, cinnamon, raisins, and apple fries Scrambled Eggs with toast or tortilla and Fruit Zucchini Bread with fruit or smoothie 
Dinner Whole Chicken, Brussels Sprouts, Cornbread  Spaghetti, Meatballs, Roasted Broccoli Chicken Enchiladas Red Beans and Rice Baked Chicken Fries, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Roasted Asparagus Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza, GF Pizza Birthday Party Menu

On Saturday we had my little girl's 4th birthday party.  In the past we always done things like burgers and hot dogs, but this year I was determined that I could still please a crowd (including little kids) with some healthier options.  My daughter is a huge fan of tacos, especially with black beans so that is where I got my inspiration.  We had:

Baked Black Bean Taquitos with Guacamole and Salsa
Tortilla Soup (no meat)
Lime Cilantro Quinoa Salad
Watermelon Berry Lemonade

I think it really went well.  Everyone loved the food and the kids were really pleased with the punch I made using these delicious strawberries we got at the farmers' market.  It felt really good to know I fed everyone a healthy meal but they were still satisfied.  The best part was that we had leftover soup to freeze for some lunches. It was a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails