Thursday, April 22, 2010

Chicken Tacos and Mexican Rice

I've been missing Mexican food like crazy lately. Everything about it, the spicy, the beans, seems to make my baby unhappy. It is my husband's favorite cuisine and I've felt really bad it so I tried to make a milder Mexican dinner and left out the beans. Success! It was yummy: happy Mommy and happy baby! Anyway, I did the chicken in the slow cooker and it came out really good. I did the shells my self by frying corn tortillas in a little oil in a skillet. I like to fry them just a little so they're kind of in between the soft tortillas and the really hard tacos. Then I made my own little version of Mexican rice. Easy and delicious.

Recipe (serves 4 plus leftovers)

Chicken for tacos (would be great in burritos or for nachos, etc)

2 - 2.5 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
16 oz container of fresh salsa
1 T chili powder

Note: the salsa is where you can really alter the spiciness.

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8 hours. Shred meat with 2 forks and serve.

Mexican Rice

1 T olive oil
1 c long-grain rice
1 cube (or 1 T) of tomato chicken bouillon (see below)
2 c water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 t cumin

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add rice and cook, stirring, until brown (but not dark brown/black). When almost brown add the garlic. Next, add the bouillon and water (WATCH OUT: It will steam!!!) and the remaining ingredients. Stir well and cover, leaving a small air escape. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook UNDISTURBED for 20 minutes. When ready, the rice should be fluffy and the grains split open and dry, not saucy.

*The bouillon can be found in the Mexican food section of the grocery store. If for some reason you cannot find it you can substitute chicken bouillon (or just use chicken stock instead of the water) and add a tablespoon of tomato paste or a few tablespoons of tomato sauce.
Posted by Picasa
3B58A5JX9BTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails