Monday, June 18, 2012

No-Fail Quiche


One of my most favorite sections of Food Network Magazine is when they do their mix and match recipes.  These are usually a base recipe that you can decide which ingredients you would like and make it your own.  I knew I would love the May issue when I got it because of the 50 Taco ideas advertised on the front but I was really excited when I saw the quiche recipe.  My mom actually called me to tell me she tried it and is is really fool-proof.



I decided to make this for my husband for Father's day because he loves it so much.  As you can see, my family was too anxious to eat it before I could snap a picture but I managed to get one before the last piece was nabbed.   I put in some of my husband's favorite ingredients such as broccoli, mushrooms and ham and I added chile powder which I think really made the dish.  Since I am on a casein-free diet I used a combination of feta, goat cheese, and manchego for the cheese. I also made a gluten free crust which turned out pretty tasty.  It was a little crumbly so the edge fell off when getting it out of the pan but it wasn't a big deal.  Keep in mind when you are making this that you will have to blind-bake the crust and then it takes about 50 minutes to bake the quiche and then 30 minutes to cool after coming out of the oven so you won't be eating right away.

Quiche (serves about 4-5)

1 pie crust (can be store-bought or homemade, see bottom for GF)
1/2 - 1 cup vegetables, cooked and chopped (asparagus, broccoli, kale, peppers, peas, mushrooms, etc)
1/2 cup chopped meat (optional) (ham, bacon, sausage, chicken, crab, etc)
3/4 - 1 cup crumbled or shredded cheese
3 eggs
1 1/4 cups cream, milk or half-and-half (I used almond milk)
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1-2 T fresh herbs (optional)
1/2 t paprika or chile powder

Heat oven to 350 F.  Combine prepared vegetables, meat and cheese in a mixing bowl.  Spread mixture in the pre-baked crust.  In a bowl whisk the eggs, salt, pepper, milk, herbs, and chile powder.  Pour the egg mixture over the vegetable mixture and bake until the filling is set 40-50 minutes.  Let cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.

To blind bake crust:  Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pie crust.  Chill 30 minutes in the freezer before baking. Preheat oven to 375.  Line pie crust with foil and add pie weights or dried beans.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Remove pie weights and foil.  Bake 5-10 minutes more until lightly golden.

GF CF Pie Crust


1/2 c shortening (cut/separated into small pieces and put in freezer for 15 minutes)
1 1/4 c GF flour (see the mixture I use here) plus a little for rolling
1 t xanthan gum
1 t salt
1 T sugar (more for sweet pies)
a few tablespoons of ice water
waxed paper or parchment

In a food processor pulse the flour, xanthan gum, salt and sugar a few times to mix.  Add the shortening and pulse until the mixture forms small balls and has a crumbly looking texture.  Add 1 T water at a time a pulse until the mixture will come together with your fingers.  Form into a disk, wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.  Place dough in between 2 pieces of waxed paper or parchment lightly dusted with flour.  Roll into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.  Remove one sheet of paper and carefully transfer into a pie plate.  Press into the pie plate, fixing any cracks, and crimp edge if you like.  At this point you would freeze for 30 minutes and then start the blind-baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails