Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Green Eggs and Ham

I'm back! It's been a crazy week with colds and cranky babies and what not. But, I think things are looking up. Anyway, there is always food to be cooked and blogged about.

I wanted to do something clever for April Fool's Day. At first I thought of making a "surreal" kind of dish - something that looks like something else. I looked for recipes on the Internet, found a lot of meatloaf cakes, and nothing seemed really appetizing to me. This led me to think of coloring food to make it look different and then it hit me. Green Eggs and Ham! I could always dye some fried eggs but that didn't seem exciting enough. I've had eggs with pesto before that I loved so I decided to go that route. They were yummy! I made a pesto with spinach and also sauteed some spinach and ham with the eggs. Served them along side some home fries and homemade biscuits (my son and I decided make them spring themed by using a butterfly cookie cutter.) In my opinion, you can have a meal like this anytime of day because it's just so good.



Recipe (serves 4)

pesto (I made homemade with spinach, garlic, Parmesan, and olive oil)
butter
8 eggs, beaten
A couple of large handfuls of fresh spinach
1 c ham, diced (I just cut up some deli ham)
3-4 green onions, sliced

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt a couple of tablespoons of butter. Add spinach, ham, and scallions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add eggs, stir, and allow to cook until they begin to set. Add 1/4 c or so of pesto and stir until eggs are cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails