Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Minestrone and Stromboli




Who doesn't love a good Italian sandwich?  I know it's one of my favorites.  Take all that meat and cheese and wrap it up in some pizza dough and you've got Stromboli (not just a character from Pinnochio).  This is one of those recipes that my mom made a lot growing up and, although I've meant to, I've never quite got around to making it until now.  Recently I started previewing Google Wave.  I decided to set up a wave for my family and I to keep track of meal ideas.  First thing my husband requested was Stromboli.  I'm a huge fan of soup and sandwiches so I thought this needed a great soup.  With all of the Italian cold cuts in the Stromboli, nothing sounded better than some Minstrone.  I wanted a quick but delicious and healthy recipe and came across this one by Michael Chiarello.

Note: This soup can be vegetarian by leaving out the pancetta and using vegetable stock.
Recipe (serves 6-8)

Minestrone:
1 cup small pasta (I used wagon wheels - kid friendly)
olive oil
6 c chicken stock
1/4 lb pancetta or bacon, chopped
6 cloves garlic, sliced
2 small onions, chopped
2 stalks celery, diced
3 carrots, diced
1 spring rosemary, finely chopped
1 can cannelini beans (14 oz)
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
5 small zucchini, diced
1 large russet potato, diced
salt and pepper
Parmeggiano Reggiano, for garnish

Stromboli:
1 recipe pizza dough, or store-bought
assorted Italian meats and cheeses
olive oil

For Minestrone:
Cook pasta to al dente according to package instructions.  Drain and too with a little olive oil to prevent sticking.
In a large pot over high heat, heat 1/4 c olive oil.  Add the pancetta and cook until brown.  Add garlic, cook 1 minute, reduce heat to medium, and add onions, celery an carrot.  Cook, stirring occasionaly, about 10 minutes until soft.  Add rosemary and return to high.  Stir in beans, tomatoes, zucchini, potatoes, and chicken stock.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, until potaotes are tender.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add pasta a few minutes before serving.  Garnish bowls with parmesan.

For Stromboli:
Preheat oven to 400.  Place pizza stone or inverted baking sheet in oven to preheat.
Roll out pizza dough into a rectangle (about 1/4 thick).  Layer meats and cheese, leaving 3/4 to 1 inch around edges.  Important:  Don't layer too thick or you won't be able to roll it.  Roll up like a jelly roll and pinch the sides together. Brush with olive oil and place seam side on baking stone or inverted baking sheet.  Bake 20 minutes until browned on outside and cooked through.  Slice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails