Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mini Baked Oatmeal

Today was a typical morning where I woke up to hungry kids wanting breakfast before I could get out of bed.  Then I realized that I had forgotten to make up our refrigerator oatmeal yesterday.  I've been trying to think of things to make breakfast a little more exciting (my daughter hasn't been too crazy about oatmeal lately) so I decided to make up some individual baked oatmeal.  My kids all have different tastes so I could put different toppings on them.  I wanted to add some mashed banana in the mix but that wouldn't please everyone so I just sliced some up on a couple of them but I think these would be even more delicious with the banana mixed in if you like it.  It would taste a lot like banana bread.  I topped others with coconut, walnuts, sliced almonds, and some homemade berry sauce.  Tip:  the almonds were still kind of loose on top so you would want to push them in a little. They were easy to mix up and done in 30 minutes. Success.



Mini Baked Oatmeal
(Makes about 12) (gluten-free and casein-free)

1 1/2 c rolled oats
1/2 c steel-cut oats
2 T ground flax
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1 egg
1/4 c honey
1 c almond milk
1 t vanilla
1/2 c coconut oil or applesauce
Toppings: walnuts, sliced almonds, coconut, berry sauce, banana, chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Mix rolled oats, steel-cut oats, flax, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.  In another bowl mix egg, honey, milk, vanilla, and oil/applesauce.  Add the egg mixture to the oat mixture and stir until well combined. Spoon into a muffin pan and top with your choice of toppings maxing sure to push dry toppings like nuts into the oatmeal a little.  Bake for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails