Monday, March 15, 2010

Microplane

Occasionally we all need a break once in a while.  I love cooking and often find it relaxes me, but having 3 kids (and 2 of them being under 2 years old) can be exhausting and some times I need a break.  Sometimes that means easier recipes.  Sometimes that means paper plates (see Stroganoff and future posts...).  And sometimes that means when Chick-Fil-A is having one of their special deal nights you must take them up on it.

Which brings me to this post.  I will not be sharing a recipe but will be showcasing one of my favorite kitchen tools: the Microplane.  While I have dreamed of one for a few years now, the Microplane is a new addition to my kitchen toolbox.  I don't know what I did without it.

Garlic. I use it probably 4-5 nights a week when making dinner.  I'm not a fan of the jarred, minced garlic.  I don't think there is a comparison to the fresh stuff .  A couple years ago I gave up using the garlic press and I thought it created more work and frustration than it was worth (difficult to press, clean, etc.)  So I moved on the chopping, slicing, and mincing garlic myself.  Now, with a few swipes of a garlic clove across the Microplane, I have a perfect uniform garlic paste to add to my dishes.

Cheese:  There is nothing light a sprinkling of fresh Parmigiano Reggiano to finish a delicious pasta dish. (See Fettucini Alfredo).  In the past I have always purchased pre-grated Parmesan cheese.  But, now I can buy it in chunks which, for a family on a budget, is more economical and the flavor is amazing!

There are many others uses for the Microplane and I'm excited to try many out in the coming months.  It can be used for chocolate, citrus zest, and even nutmeg (I've had a Microplane Nutmeg Grater for a few years now.)  While there are many practical uses for it (such as grating garlic), I look forward to seeing how the "look" of the meals I prepare changes in the near future as it will now be easier to add that finishing touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails