Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Chicken Tandoori

Another issue of Food Network Magazine brought me another Indian dish that I was willing to try: Chicken Tandoori. It is most known for it's fiery red color and is usually cooked in a clay oven (tandoor.) The color comes from certain red chili powders and sometimes even food coloring. While mine was not as red as others the flavor was great and I think this is most important. This dinner was also another milestone for me because I cooked on the grill with no help for the first time.
It's just something I've always left to my husband and I love my grill pan. But, with the summer approaching I decided it's time for me to get out there. I used boneless skinless chicken instead of the thighs recommended because that's what I prefer. The funny thing was I did not realize until I started dinner that we had purchased chicken tenderloins. There kind of a pain to cook on the grill as the pieces are so small. Oh well. It was still really good. I served it with Basmati rice, roasted green beans, and some fresh Naan bread (I meant to make some from scratch but forgot about it until it was time to start dinner, but hubby came through with some from the store). Husband happy, kids happy, mom happy.

Recipe (Serves 4)

2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken
juice of 1 lemon
salt
1/2 c plus 2 T plain yogurt
1 T oil
1/2 red onion
3 cloves garlic
2 inch piece ginger, peeled
4 t tomato paste
2 t coriander
1 1/2 t cumin
1 3/4 t paprika
2 T cilantro, chopped

Preheat broiler or grill. Make shallow cuts in the chicken. Toss with lemon juice and 1 1/2 t salt.

In food processor, pulse 2 T yogurt, oil, onion, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, coriander, cumin, 1 1/2 t paprika and 1/2 t salt to make a paste. Toss the chicken in the paste and allow to marinate 15 minutes.

Combine remaining 1/2 c yogurt, 1/4 t paprika, cilantro, and a pinch of salt.

To cook either grill until slightly charred or broil in a foil lined pan until slightly charred about 5-6 min per side. Top the chicken with the yogurt sauce and serve with rice.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge Indian fan, and I can't wait to give this recipe a try. Thanks :) - Cathy Pieroz at Ray White Alexandra Hills

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails