Thursday, March 18, 2010

Lentil and Sausage Soup

Occasionally I have found myself with a bag of lentils in my pantry with no idea what to do with them. It is one ingredient that I've seen in use on TV and in magazines more and more in the last few years, but it is one that I never really grew up with. and I've never really known what to do with them. So, the lentils sit in the pantry until I end up using them for some sort of science or art lesson for my oldest son (he's home schooled.)

Well, just the other day I saw the lentils in the store when shopping for dried beans and I decided that I would finally do something with them. I picked up a bag and actually noticed a recipe on the back for a soup with kielbasa that sounded pretty good. With food it never hurts to try something new, right? It was really good! My daughter (who's not quite 2) LOVED it! She was picking up every last little lentil from her bowl and tray and shoving it in her mouth. Even when she was done and her dishes were practically licked clean, she didn't want to give up her bowl to the dishwasher. So, as a healthy, tasty family-friendly meal, it was definitely a success.



Vegetarian? Just leave out the sausage and use vegetable broth

Recipe (Serves 4 with leftovers)

2 T olive oil
2 leeks, sliced (see note* at bottom)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 t salt
1 t thyme
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t cumin
3 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
6 c chicken stock
1/2 lb lentils, rinsed
2 T tomato paste
1 lb kielbasa, cut lengthwise, then sliced (I used turkey sausage)
Parmiggiano Reggiano, for garnish (optional)

Heat oil in large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Saute leeks, garlic ans seasonings until softened. Add carrots and celery and saute an additional 5 minutes. Add tomato paste*, chicken stock, and lentils. Cover and simmer 50 minutes. Stir in kielbasa and simmer 10 minutes. Garnish with cheese and serve.

*Ingredient Notes:

Preparing Leeks: Leeks are grown in sandy soil which gets trapped in between the layers. This makes them different than most vegetables in that they must be sliced BEFORE they are washed. To do this, remove the dark green part of the leeks and the very end of the root. Slice the leek in half lengthwise and then slice in to desired thickness. Place the sliced leeks in either your sink or a bowl filled with cold water. Give a little stir with your hands. The sliced leeks will float and all of the dirt will fall to the bottom. Lift the leeks out of the water.

Tomato Paste: Many recipes call for a tablespoon or 2 of tomato paste. I found it frustrating for years to have to open an entire can for just a tiny amount. I then discovered the tubes of tomato paste and I can squeeze out just what I need. This is a must-have to keep in your fridge.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails