Wednesday, March 17, 2010

French Toast

So, we had takeout again. But I did make some delicious french toast for breakfast. I've made french toast dozens of times but I wanted to try out the recipe for perfect french toast from Food Network Magazine. The mixture made enough for a ton of toast so I would halve it next time (which I'll do here.) It was very good though. Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside and the fresh nutmeg in it was soooo yummy. I also like to use cinnamon and it is also very good. The thicker the slices of bread the better. Sometimes my husband manages to find texas toast at the store and it makes the best french toast! I think next time I'll make some banana stuffed french toast (Gotta get that recipe from Mom!) Add some sausage and a hot cup of coffee and you have the perfect Sunday morning. (sigh)

Recipe (serves 4)

thick sliced bread (e.g. french, texas toast, challah)
2 eggs
3/4 c milk
1/2 t sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1/4 t nutmeg or cinnamon
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350. Mix everything except bread in a shallow bowl or small casserole. Melt 1/2 - 1 T butter over medium heat in a skillet or griddle. Dip bread slices in egg mixture and add to skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer toast to a baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes until puffed up. (Tip: If you're making a small enough batch and have a big enough skillet that is oven safe, brown on one side, then flip over and put in the oven for 10 minutes. I did this the next day for myself and it was delicious.)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails