Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chicken Cacciatore

This recipe has just about all of the things I love in a classic Italian pasta dinner. Except cheese, of course, although it is one recipe where I find I don't miss the cheese. It's just so good. My husband, always budget conscious, recently asked me why I don't ever buy chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. I mainly don't buy them because of the additional fat versus breasts. I decided to try them with this recipe and I was not to thrilled. The fat and the texture just made me miss my chicken breasts. The dish was still very good but I will definitely do chicken breasts next time. Serve it over your favorite pasta (I like it with spaghetti). Delizioso!



Recipe (Serves 4 with leftovers)

2 - 2 1/2 lbs chicken (it will work with both bone-in and boneless)
salt and pepper
1/2 c flour
3 T olive oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 c white wine
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes w/ juice
3/4 c chicken broth
1 1/2 t dried oregano
1/4 c chopped fresh basil

Season the chicken with about a teaspoon each of salt and pepper and then dredge in flour. Heat oil in a large saucepan over med-high heat. Saute chicken until brown, about 5 minutes a side. Don't crowd the pan, do it in batches. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic and saute 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add the wine. Simmer to reduce by half and then add the tomatoes (with juice), broth, and oregano. Return chicken to the pan, bring to a simmer, and reduce to med-low. Simmer until chicken is cooked through (about 30 minutes for breasts and 50 minutes for thighs). At this point you can bring the sauce to a boil to thicken slightly. Top with basil and serve over spaghetti.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I remember having this recipe for the first time a few years ago. I had completely forgotten about it until I saw this post, thanks for the reminder of a great recipe, it'll be on my menu this week :) - Cathy Pieroz at Ray White Alexandra Hills

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails